[Histonet] proper disposal of specimen transpot biohazard bag s

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Thu Aug 12 16:17:12 CDT 2004

Well... When working at a nameless lab many years ago we had a call  from a
local landfill that freaked when they found an empty biohazard bag in a load
of our "regular" trash, so I don't think they like that kind of thing.

Tim Morken

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Martin [mailto:pathrm35 <@t> adelphia.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 2:01 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] proper disposal of specimen transpot biohazard bags

Fellow techs,
What is the proper disposal means for the specimen transport biohazard bags?
The bags we use say "stat" and "biohazard" on them. I always thought that
they were to be discarded in a larger biohazard bag with the other
contaminated material. My manager says that they are to be discarded in the
regular trash unless formalin or other fluid leaks in them. What is everyone
else doing? Thanks, Ron Martin