[Histonet] fixation/no fixation

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Wed Aug 11 11:30:29 CDT 2004

George asks (again)
<< The questions were

1) what do you do to make fixed tissues useable for these studies

There's two parts to this, one involving the tissue, one the antibody
First, fixed tissues, specifically formalin-fixed tissues, are being
"treated" with various enzyems (trypsin, proteinase K, etc) or heated
buffers at various pH's and temperatures in order to "somehow" "unmask" the
epitopes. Very vague, really, but there is some research being done and
various explanations, from breaking formalin-induced bonds to restoring
electrical charges. I was just at a histochemistry meeting in San Diego
where all these explanations went head-to-head. It was very interesting and
I think the "restoring charges" explanation is edging ahead.

Second, we are screening antibodies to find the ones that work best on
formalin-fixed tissue although they may still require some "pretreatment."
Indeed, many of these antibodies don't work at all on frozen tissue.

and,
2) what is the comparable results between fixed and non fixed tissues in the
results? >>

Since formalin-fixed tissue shows decent morphology, it is preferred over
frozens if the target can be detected. Many times we really do want to see
the tissue structure where an antibody is found, not just the general
location of an antibody. Since freezing can destroy cell and tissue
boundaries, many protiens (and their target epitopes) are translocated
during the thawing that occurs after the freezing.  So location is not
necessarily exact in frozen tissue. In my experience, tissue that is
properly fixed gives great results - strong signal, exact location and
excellent morphology. And many of the targets once detected by
histochemistry can now be detected by antibodies, thus making frozens even
less necessary.

But the primary moving force for fixed tissue is the clinical pathology need
- if a test can be done on fixed tissue it makes life easier for everyone,
plus you may have a (nearly) permanent paraffin block to use in the future
for other tests.

Tim Morken
Lab Vision - Neomarkers
www.labvision.com

Free webhosting for US State Histotechnology Societies:
http://www.labvisioncorp.com/demowebsite/index.cfm