[Histonet] Private responses

Barry R Rittman Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Thu Aug 5 10:02:10 CDT 2004

I hate to see the word "flamed" as here in sunny Houston it has been in
the upper 90s for about 2 weeks.

While I appreciate people's perception about getting "flamed" when they
have  posted items, I have a real problem with posting most items
privately.
Histonet is an extremely valuable resource and there is a vast amount of
expertise available. It is only logical for this knowledge and
experience to be freely shared.
I can't say  that I have been "flamed" (or even mildly scorched) but
sometimes I make mistakes and post incorrect information. It is a
valuable learning experience for me and all interested parties to have
any errors corrected. Sometimes it is  matter of perception and how
criticism is leveled (being brutally frank is not a good attitude).
"Flaming" may be perceived by one individual to have occurred while
another may regard a response as constructive criticism.
If anyone here gets "flamed" or has their employer contacted by a
company about a posting then please let us know. Companies do respond
positively to public opinion. Any companies with such an attitude this
should be held accountable and so should employers for not telling the
company or their representative to take a hike.
I do believe that if someone requests private responses that this be
respected. Second, I believe that when responding one should be careful
when criticizing a piece of equipment or a company. Negative criticism
sticks and while this may be true for a particular individual it could
be an isolated incident and due to many factors.   Not everyone knows
how to deal effectively with companies (and not every company knows how
to deal responsibly with customers). I think that such listings should
be private. The individual who receives these could then let us know
about the final results in the form of a summary.
If I am to get "flamed" for this or any other postings please include
"flamed" at the start of the message so that I don't' just think that
the response is constructive criticism.
Barry