[Histonet] Microwave Processing

Willis, Donna DonnaWillis <@t> texashealth.org
Thu Aug 5 07:54:35 CDT 2004

Brianna,
We currently have 2 older Energy Beam units that we use for biopsy samples,
2 RHS1 Milestone units that are used for large (4mm)thick and biopsy samples
and 5 routine tissue processors.  It isn't that we couldn't do everything in
the Milestone units, it is a staffing issue.  One of the Milestone units is
used in the Surgical Pathology area for fixation and the other one is used
in Histology for fixation and processing.  Everything that is dissected
before 10:30 in the morning goes on the Milestone unit for processing.  The
sections usually fill the cassettes but biopsy samples are processed on the
run also if they are not STATS.  The run is ready for embedding at 4:30 in
the afternoon.  Works great.

Donna Willis
Histology Lab Manager
Harris Methodist Fort Worth, Tx

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of UniPath
IHC
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 4:58 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Microwave Processing

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I have some questions about microwave
processing and what I found in the archives didn't exactly answer them.
Does anyone use the microwave to process ALL of their tissues?  If so do you
have different runs for large vs. small bxs, prostates, GIs, etc.?  Do you
find the quality to be as good as or better than conventional processing, or
just quicker?

Thank you,

Brianna Jackson

UniPath, LLC