Subject: [Histonet] Zinc formalin on human renal biopsies

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Wed Apr 28 10:25:00 CDT 2004

Steven,

I was wondering that too. Although the tissues had been stored in 70%
alcohol, I had post-fixed one sample another 4 hours in Zinc Formalin.
I ran the post-fixed tissues in the processor at the same time as the
originally Zinc Formalin fixed material, and the morphology was worse
with the post-fixed sample.  Again, this was a sub-optimal test in that
it would be more helpful to use fresh pancreas for the fixation test,
but it's the material that I had available.

Having used Zinc Formalin extensively on human lymph node specimens in
the past, I've seen what prolonged fixation (overnight) in Zinc Formalin
can do to harden them.  Maybe the formulation is the key here, as Gayle
has used Anatech's formulation for 15 hours with tiny kidney biopsies
with no ill effects.

Thanks for your input!

Teri

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven E. Slap [mailto:siksik03 <@t> comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 10:16 AM
To: Johnson, Teri
Cc: HistoNet Server

Hi Teri & HistoNetters

Given that you only fixed the pancreas for three hours in the Zinc
Formalin, I wonder whether your problem isn't just underfixation, as
opposed to the overnight fixation in formalin.  The dryness and
brittleness could be due to exposure to alcohols before the tissue
was properly fixed.

Just a thought...

Steven Slap