[Histonet] Re: Beta galactosidase nuclear counterstain

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Fri Apr 23 12:47:57 CDT 2004

It is probably not necessary to leave the slides for those times in the
alcohol and xylene.  However, we don't have the problem of losing the
x-gal staining on tissue sections or even in the processor for stained
whole mounts for paraffin embedding.  We use the x-gal staining protocol
recommended by Lobe, et al (Developmental Biology 208; 281-292) and
counterstain in nuclear fast red, rinse in water, and dehydrate, clear
and mount as usual with no loss of staining.

Teri Johnson
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St.