[Histonet] slide drying, cyto/hist field changes/ non formalin fix

JColCLEFA <@t> aol.com JColCLEFA <@t> aol.com
Thu Apr 22 16:40:57 CDT 2004

If this is for drying after cutting & before staining, we are all ( routine
and IHC) m-wave and nuke em for 3 minutes. We use 130 different primary
antibodies and have never had an issue with staining compared to oven dried. Ovens we
kept at 60C and dried for 30 min. For Brains when we stain Bielschowsky(sp?)
we nuke and then hold at 40C overnight. If you mean drying after
coverslipping, 40c for two-three days for permount and not at all for auto celluloid
machines.

Cyto changes- in addition to the popularity of mechanized cyto readers   the
development of an HPV vaccine is on the horizon further squeezing the future
utility of pap smears (HPV vaccine=less HPV = very little cx ca=less PAP smear
relevance)   The looming change for Histo is the 2005 AS degree requirement
for HT's, adding an additional roadblock for some prospective techs.   (I
believe in the change though- we need more respect!)

As most IHC procedures are optimized for formalin, I would really hate the
headache of retitring and reworking all my antibodies to accomodate these
"alternative" fixatives