[Histonet] Oozing mounting medium

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Apr 22 10:42:41 CDT 2004

Peggy,

I have had this happen and one needs to do longer drying, it happened with
both xylene and toluene based mounting media.  Been there and experienced
your problem with gigantic sheep tibia and human femoral bone sections.

The problem is with that large section in fact, everything is BIGGER!  Even
though you think section is truly flat, it often had thick thin areas, more
so than routine, small paraffin section.

Don't try to overclean these slides, this removes enough media to cause an
air bubble particularly if you use dipping into xylene, then wiping to
clean.  This dissolves enough media away to create air bubbles.    It also
sounds as though longer is needed, these are huge sections with a lot of
goo under that coverslip.

If the bubble connects to outer edge of coverslip, use a very fine pipette
to add media at bubbble edge and let it flow into bubble space, redry. We
have repaired bubbles this way before.  A #2 thickness coverslip is often
nicer. One could also try a weight in middle of section to keep large
coverslips flat.

At 08:06 AM 4/22/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello Histonetters
>
>My 5 x 7 inch slides are air dried flat for at least a month before I file
>them upright.  The problem I'm having is that once the slides are filed some
>of the toluene based mounting medium oozes out.  After I clean the slides
>off there is usually a big air bubble where the tissue is and I don't like
>to re-coverslip for fear of the tissue falling off since it has happened.  I
>spoke to a sales rep and he is sending me different mountants to try ( I
>assume all xylene based since I coverslip from xylene) but I was wondering
>what everyone else uses to prevent this from happening.   Any suggestions to
>eliminate this problem?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>Peggy DiCarlo HT (ASCP)
>
>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
>This email transmission and any documents, files,
>or previous e-mail messages attached to it are
>confidential and intended solely for the use of the
>individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
>If you are not the intended recipient, or a person
>responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
>you are hereby notified that any further review,
>disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution, or
>use of any of the information contained in or attached
>to this e-mail transmission is strictly prohibited.
>If you have received this message in error, please
>notify the sender immediately by e-mail, discard
>any paper copies, and delete all electronic files
>of the message. If you are unable to contact the
>sender or you are not sure as to whether you
>are the intended recipient, please e-mail
>ISTSEC <@t> KaleidaHealth.org or call (716) 859-7777.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor