[Histonet] Coverslipper Agony

KAELPERS <@t> aol.com KAELPERS <@t> aol.com
Wed Apr 21 20:25:42 CDT 2004

We also have a hacker coverslipper and experience these issues.
We have used permount from Fisher and we are now using Richard Allans
mountant.  I have always noticed on the first couple set of coverslips that there is
a problem and then sporadic from there.
A couple things I do is to #1 dispense quite a bit of mountant from the
needle before beginning and #2 the springs that are on your plunges for picking up
the coverslip and laying the coverslip onto the slide can also play a huge
part.  You want to make sure that the coverslip is placed at the bottom edge of
the slide first and then slowly pressed onto the slide by the other.  Adjusting
these springs can greatly increase or decrease the pressure applied.  If you
have it adjusted nicely they will actually press the air bubbles away while
applying the coverslip.  It has always been trial and error and something you
can't just walk away from.  We exam every slide and wipe the backs after each
rack is complete and then there is no issues after drying of the slide.  We have
the person staining (hacker too) also operating the coverslipper and it has
worked out nicely.

lge