[Histonet] Microwave Processing

Steven E. Slap siksik03 <@t> comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 14:09:26 CDT 2004

Hello again HistoNetters

Yes, there are these hybrid mixtures called coagulative fixatives.
They are usually combinations of ethyl alcohol and polyethylene
glycol, and, occasionally, acetic acid.  They do not cross-link
proteins.  The PEG helps prevent the shrinkage associated with the
use of ethanol as a fixative.

The advantage of all these mixtures is that, no cross-linking having
taken place, no subsequent antigen retrieval (or "unmasking") of the
proteins would be necessary for IHC.  Dr. Boon has a good chapter on
them in support of her "Boon-Fix".

To muddy the waters further, there are still other non-formalin
fixatives, which are neither coagulative fixatives, nor cross-linking
fixatives, based on glyoxal, such as Anatech's "Prefer", but which
still are said to chemically "fix" the tissue.  I'll leave the
mechanism of their chemistry to the experts.

best regards,
Steven Slap