Fwd: [Histonet] Mesentery tissue

Ian Montgomery ian.montgomery <@t> bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Apr 21 06:52:24 CDT 2004

Donna,
         For smaller animals I dissect the small intestine from stomach to
rectum as one piece. Then cut lengths of the gut, with mesentery attached,
and pin onto cork mats keeping the mesentery stretched. Fix in your
fixative of choice. After an appropriate fixing time, remove from the cork
mat and trim the mesentery away from the intestine. You'll now have sheets
of fixed mesentery that you can stain as appropriate. For ease in handling
I normally stain the entire sheet and cut into smaller pieces just before
mounting. H&E staining time is just as normal but remember, there are large
blood vessels and depending on animal quite a lot of fat in the tissue, so
increase the dehydration time accordingly. In fact, I trim away the large
vessels and fat during dehydration.
         If you want to study the blood vessels in TS then dissect out the
mesentery, spread it out then roll up like a Swiss roll. Tie both ends and
stretch lightly over a cork mat. Fix using your fixative of choice. A slot
in the cork mat gives the fixative better access to the tissue. Dehydrate
as one long piece then cut into block size pieces just before embedding.
Cut and stain as normal.
         It can be a wee bit fiddly at first, but you'll soon master the
technique.
Ian.

>Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:40:37 -0400
>From: "Donna Kumiski" <DKUMISKI <@t> mail.mcg.edu>
>To: <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

>Sender: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>Subject: [Histonet] Mesentery tissue
>

>I am looking for a protocol to stain and mount mesentery.
>In a past discussion I asked about mounting the tissue but I need
>  more details about the staining. I would like to do an H&E on the
>tissue then mount it on slides. These slides will be used in a
>Histology
>course for first year medical students
>         Donna

>Donna Kumiski     HT (ASCP)
>Medical College of Georgia
>Dept. of Cellular Biology and Anatomy
>CB 1202
>Augusta, Georgia   30912-2000
>(706) 721-6278
>  dkumiski <@t> mail.mcg.edu

Dr. Ian Montgomery,
Histotechnology,
Graham Kerr Building,
Institute of Biomedical & Life Sciences,
University of Glasgow,
Glasgow,
G12 8QQ.
Tel: 0141 339 8855