[Histonet] fat cryostat sections: cutting pb, IHC?

Nancy.Walker <@t> sanofi-synthelabo.com Nancy.Walker <@t> sanofi-synthelabo.com
Tue Apr 20 09:52:51 CDT 2004

Any pointers for cutting adipose tissue with a cryostat?

 I have  mouse epididyme adipose tissue that is unfixed and embedded  in
tissue tek. At - 30°C I can cut  without it melting but most of the
specimen stays on the knife edge leaving a nicely cut section of tissue
tek, a big hole and a little fat tissue around the edges. And this at 45
µ!!!  Any thinner and I get just the hole.

I have a crostat which I can adjust the block and chamber temp separately.
Haven't fiddled with the knife angle yet...

WHAT TO DO???

any special tratments to get IHC reagents to penetrate this hydrophobic
stuff?

thank you for you advice,

Nancy Walker
Molecular Pharmacology