[Histonet] re antigen retrieval

Steven E. Slap siksik03 <@t> comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 10:16:21 CDT 2004

Hi Carl & HistoNetters

Good point, Carl-  makes you wonder, doesn't it?  According to Dr.
Shi, the factors that really matter are time, temperature and pH.
Some antigens turn out to be "easy", others "hard".  It doesn't seem
to matter too much what solution is used so much, as you say, so long
as the pH is right for the particular Ab, and the time and
temperature are accurately controlled.  That being said, I have
usually found that high pH solutions damage morphology, and prefer to
use pH 6.0 citrate buffer whenever I can get away with it, and raise
the temperature or lengthen the time rather than raise the pH to get
the "hard" aBs to work.

best regards,
Steven