[Histonet] Specimen exception list....

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Mon Apr 19 12:22:43 CDT 2004

I have a question regarding which specimens are sent to Pathology and which
are not.  Our "Exception List" is essentially the same as the "Gross Only"
list and is approved by the Medical Staff.  Our policy does include the
statement..."this list may be extended to include other specimens as
requested by the physician."  When a speciem is not sent, a notation is made
on the surgery record that a specimen was "not sent per physician".

So that is my question.  Do you require your physicians to adhere strictly
to the list and send all other specimens to Pathology?  Do you allow them
any discretion in what they send or don't send?

Tom Mc Nemar HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Licking Memorial Hospital
Newark, Ohio 43055