[Histonet] Vibratome Considerations

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Tue Apr 13 16:03:58 CDT 2004

A primary reason to use a Vibratome(TM) is to avoid damage to cell membranes and resulting loss of cellular contents.  Do not freeze and rethaw, after using  a Vibratome, and you can get more sensitive staining, depending on the what sort of cellular protein you are after (in cytosol, or bound to membranes or other solids) with a Vibratome.

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63134
Ph: 314 522 0300
FAX  314 522 0377
cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
http://www.myneurolab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Geoff McAuliffe
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 1:03 PM
To: Danielle Zalinski
Cc: HistoNet Listserve
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Vibratome Considerations

I have done immunos on vibratome sections of rat brain. If you use a 12 well tissue culture plate (with its lid) on a shaker table overnight at room temp. you should get good results. You will need to add some Triton or Tween to the primary antibody (and probably subsequent steps) or do something to 'permeabilize' the sections (freeze-thaw or alcohol) so you get good penetration of the antibodies. If you have access to a sliding microtome with a freezing stage you could obtain sections that way.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.