[Histonet] Storage of 10M NaOH

Favara, Cynthia (NIH/NIAID) cfavara <@t> niaid.nih.gov
Mon Apr 12 11:17:08 CDT 2004

Well I will give this a shot. I think this is strictly from a safety
standpoint. We have recently undergone lab to lab evaluations by a safety
officer and you would not believe what we are supposed to do. Granted we in
research get away with a lot as we are not subjected to the inspections the
clinical labs get. For safety purposes you should keep minimal amounts of
caustic/harmful materials in plastic to avoid breakage issues,  below eye
level and on shelves that have a lip! If not you get a ticket!!!!
Fortunately no fine yet!

Cynthia Favara
NIAID/NIH/RML/LPVD
903 South 4th Street
Hamilton, MT 59840
406-363-9317

-----Original Message-----
From: Eva Andersson [mailto:eca9 <@t> georgetown.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 8:32 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Storage of 10M NaOH

Hi,
Maybe not a strictly histochemistry question but maybe someone could
provide me with an answer.
I was just told that I shouldn't store the 10M NaOH that I use for
adjusting the pH in a glass bottle. I was told that it needed to be made
fresh and only kept in a plastic bottle. Why is this? How long can I
keep a stock solution?
If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Eva