[Histonet] Sponge problems in processing

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Thu Apr 8 13:31:43 CDT 2004

    If an object is under water and the air pressure above the water is
reduced, the total pressure on the object is reduced.  If the object is only
17 feet down (1/2 Atm water pressure plus 1 Atm air pressure), halving the
air pressure above it reduces the total pressure by 33% (1 Atm instead of 1
1/2 Atm).  If the air pressure above it is reduced by 97% (to 0.03 Atm), the
water boils at room temperature!

    If you seal the bag of fruit at normal atmospheric pressure, put the bag
17 feet underwater, and reduce the air pressure above by 50%, the fruit does
not release juice because the total pressure (1 Atm) is still as high as
when it was sealed.  However, if you reduce the air pressure by 95%, the
total pressure on the fruit will be 0.55 Atm.  If you reduce the pressure to
0.55 Atm suddenly, air dissolved in the fruit juice will rupture the fruit
and juice will leak out.  If you reduce the pressure slowly to 0.55 Atm, the
air will diffuse out without rupturing the fruit.

    If you slowly reduce the pressure on the fruit to 0.03 Atm, the water
will diffuse out slowly, and you will have intact dehydrated fruit.  If you
reduce the pressure on the fruit 0.03 Atm suddenly, the rapid boiling of the
juice will rupture the fruit and some juice will leak out before it, too,
boils.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
School of Graduate Medical Sciences