[Histonet] Excessively Wrinkled sections

Nick Kirk nick.kirk3 <@t> btopenworld.com
Sat Sep 27 00:34:20 CDT 2003

I've always floated sections out on a water bath in the low to mid 50s with
hardly ever any problems. The key is to use de-ionised water which will
reduce bubble formation and to give the water bath a tap (or thump depending
on your mood) every now and again to release any bubbles that may have
formed on the base or sides to allow them to float to the surface and pop
harmlessly.
Floating out at that temperature is also a good indicator of how well
processed your tissue is, as poorly processed tissue will "explode" across
the water bath and in my book, if it does that, it needs to be re-processed.
Floating out at a lower temperature will still remove the wrinkles but it
takes a lot longer and you have to weigh up the risk of bubbles against the
extra time needed to complete the task.
If your department isn't that busy, then the lower temperature is an option.
If, however, you work in a busy department, you probably can't afford to sit
around twiddling your thumbs all day waiting for sections to flatten out.
It's a case of Risk Assessment and in the labs I've worked in over the
years, we've always opted for the hotter option with no problem.

Nick Kirk
Histopathology
Hinchingbrooke Hospital
Huntingdon