[Histonet] Making DAB+ in Dako Ark darker

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Sep 25 09:09:22 CDT 2003

You can make the brown endproduct a very dark, black brown (almost black!)
by using the DAKO DAB enhancer.  This works beautifully with their DAB+
that is in ARK kit or you can always do another enhancer to turn the
product black.  This has been discussed at great lengths in Histonet
archives.  Other companies have enhancers ready to use, Zymed and Vector,
but I am not sure if they are black.

Since the kit is a kit, we prefer to use the DAKO enhancing product, pretty
much optimized for their DAB+ which (with their enhancer), allowed us to
get a murine CD4 diluted out 1:15,000 (0.5mg/ml)and more.  This was not an
ARK kit method, but we were impressed with the overall chromogen/enhancer.
We had to be careful about any residual peroxidase or pseudoperoxidases in
tissues when using DAKO DAB enhancer.  We used the glucose oxidase
endogenous peroxidase method for quenching with very clean results.

At 01:25 PM 9/25/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>          Although the brown reaction product with Dako Ark looks lovely
>I'd like a black product. Has anyone used intensifying techniques with Dako
>Ark and can they offer any hints and tips.
> Ian.
>  Dr. Ian Montgomery,
> Histotechnology,
> Graham Kerr Building,