[Histonet] isopropanol as dehydrating agent in microwave proc essing

Morken, Tim - Labvision tpmorken <@t> labvision.com
Tue Sep 23 10:07:57 CDT 2003

Pooja,
One concern I have about your experiments is that a domestic mw oven is not
meant to be used with volatile, flammable chemicals. The lab versions are
well vented (most must be vented to a fume hood, or have a vent system over
the mw oven) and if intended for processing, are designed specifically to
prevent vapor ignition and explosion (for example with non-sparking
electronics and very strong door locks). Your home model has none of that
and may be extremely dangerous to use with a flammable chemical.

Tim Morken

-----Original Message-----
From: pooja chopra [mailto:dr_pooja_chopra <@t> hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 10:35 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] isopropanol as dehydrating agent in microwave processing

Dear Histonetter,
I am a new user of this email group. I am a resident doctor doing my thesis
research on microwave fixation and processing in a moderately funded
government laboratory in India. I am using a domestic microwave oven, as a
lab oven is not affordable.
I have been able to use only isopropanol (IPA) in the microwave processing
schedule as it is very difficult to get license for ethanol in India. I have

read lots of discouraging things that IPA should not be used as dehydrator,
even in microwave method. I would like to hear from someone, regarding
whether there is any way of making use of IPA both as dehydrator and
clearing agent.
Thanks,
Pooja Chopra