[Histonet] promoting the art of histology/microscopy

Tora Bardal tora.bardal <@t> bio.ntnu.no
Fri Sep 19 13:51:01 CDT 2003

At 19.09.2003 07:51, you wrote:
>Although I do not know Norweigan, the web page is beautiful!!  I have
>often thought I could hand a microscopic image on my walls for art.  It
>does not look like too many words, would you mind translating into
>English?  Just what the photos are depicting (organ and stain
>type/microscopic method)?

Dear Jennifer

English is not at all my first language, I'll do my best :-)
As you may have understood, the computer is an  important tool "on the way"
to the  final picture. I use Adobe Photoshop, playing with colours and effects.
I'll try to explain , the page
http://chembio.ntnu.no/users/tbardal/mikroskopibilder/index.htm shows 35
pictures, from left to right
1)       a gut feeling, semithin section of cod gut embedded in LR White,
Prot.A-gold and Silver Enhancement to show the lipase labeling and Toluidin
Blue as counterstain LM (ordinary light microscope)
2)      algeoppblomstring - algal bloom LM
3)      chive (from my garden), digital camera
4)      Artemia, a small Crustacea,  LM
5)      also Artemia, a little older. These Crustaceans are used as marin
fish feed.LM
6)      otifer, also used as fish feed, LM
7)      playing around with non miscible fluids, LM with DIC
8)      Eye from cod larvae, semithin EPON-section, Toluidin Blue
9)      midgut from turbot larvae with a lot of lipid droplets, semithin
EPON-section, Toluidin Blue
10)     Just an illustration of the importance of narrowing the search when
looking for fish, not FISH
11)     gill development, turbot. Stereomicroscope
12)     Halibut larvae, newly hatched and 140 days old, Stereomicroscope
13)     Scanning electrone micrograph, halibut gut
14)     Snow melting in the light beam, LM with DIC
15)     shell (scallop??) digital camera
16)     Halibut eggs, Stereomicroscope
17)     Heart muscle from Atlantic salmon, immunfluorescense (
musclespesific protein). Fluorescence microscope/paraffin
18)     Halibut tail fin, Stereomicroscope
19)     Golgi from cod enterocyte, EPON, TEM
20)     Grain dissolving, LM with DIC
21)     Bacteria in the gut of a turbot larvae, EPON, TEM
22)     another rotifer, LM with DIC
23)     Japanese Eel,  5 days old LM
24)     Vacuole in a liver section, EPON, TEM
25)     cod "trying to eat" NTNU's logo
26)     moth - digital camera
27)     tail, lobster 9 days, Stereomicroscope
28-30   pigment celles in cod skin,  Stereomicroscope
31)     cross section of 1 day old turbot larvae, just behind the eye
region, semithin EPON-section, Toluidin Blue
32)     Grain dissolving, LM with DIC
33)     no. 32 and some "roses" from cod skin
34)     vertebra from cod, originally stained with Alcian Blue and Alizarin
Red,        LM with DIC
35)     muscle gene expression in halibut embryo, wholemount in situ
hybridization, Stereomicroscope

and from left to right in page
http://chembio.ntnu.no/users/tbardal/nye2003/index.htm

1)      turbot larvae, 25 days after hatching, originally stained with
Alcian Blue and Alizarin Red, LM
2)      also turbot larvae, 25 days after hatching, originally stained with
Alcian Blue and Alizarin Red, LM
3)      Japanese Eel, from day 0 to day 8, LM
4)      tail fin,  turbot larvae, 25 days after hatching, originally
stained with Alcian Blue and Alizarin Red, LM