[Histonet] Carcinogenic materials

Laurie Colbert laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Thu Sep 18 13:17:00 CDT 2003

Formaldehyde is on the list.  I'm sure this list is not meant to be all-inclusive.  I think it's just a listing of some of the most common chemicals we use in histology.  What I printed was just a small portion of the publication.  There is lots more info in the "expanded" version.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vinnie Della Speranza [mailto:dellav <@t> musc.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 10:39 AM
To: Laurie Colbert; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Carcinogenic materials

Laurie,
do you think it would be beneficial to also include "suspected carcinogens" to your list? don't know if the materials you checked listed these as well. I find it interesting that formaldehyde didn't make your list. our safety dept here claims it's no longer suspected but a confirmed carcinogen.
Vinnie

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
Medical University of South Carolina
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
Charleston, SC 29425
Ph: 843-792-6353
fax: 843-792-8974

>>> "Laurie Colbert" <laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com> 09/18/03 12:49PM >>>
I've had several requests for some of the information I received on carcinogenic materials.  The information listed below is from an NSH publication, "Health and Safety Committe Information Packet."  You can contact NSH at histo <@t> nsh.org or (301) 262-6221.  Their website is www.nsh.org and there are numerous publications you can order from this website.

Carcinogens in the Histology Lab:

	Arsenic compounds (cacodylate buffers)
	Benzene (solvent)
	Chromium oxide (oxidizer for GMS)
	Formaldehyde (fixative)
	Benzidine (chromagen)
	Benzideine-based dyes such as: biebrich scarlet, congo red, oil red O, woodstain scarlet, ponceau S, trypan blue, 	       bordeaux.

Laurie Colbert
Huntington Hospital
Pasadena, CA