[Histonet] Carcinogenic materials

Laurie Colbert laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Thu Sep 18 11:49:12 CDT 2003

I've had several requests for some of the information I received on carcinogenic materials.  The information listed below is from an NSH publication, "Health and Safety Committe Information Packet."  You can contact NSH at histo <@t> nsh.org or (301) 262-6221.  Their website is www.nsh.org and there are numerous publications you can order from this website.

Carcinogens in the Histology Lab:

	Arsenic compounds (cacodylate buffers)
	Benzene (solvent)
	Chromium oxide (oxidizer for GMS)
	Formaldehyde (fixative)
	Benzidine (chromagen)
	Benzideine-based dyes such as: biebrich scarlet, congo red, oil red O, woodstain scarlet, ponceau S, trypan blue, 	       bordeaux.

Laurie Colbert
Huntington Hospital
Pasadena, CA