[Histonet] Details of existing protocol

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu Sep 18 09:42:03 CDT 2003

Dear Gillian:

    Your tissue is over-processed. Very, very over-processed.

1. Fix at room temperature, not cold. For most things cold fixation is a
myth, it just slows down the reaction of the fix with the tissue.
2. Cut the heart in half and fix in a volume of fix at least 10X that of
the tissue. If you are not going to cut the whole heart, why fix the
whole heart? If you are going to cut the whole heart your results will
be better if it is cut in half for processing.
3. Fix longer, 48 hours is the minimum for full fixation with
formaldehyde. Depending on what you are looking for there may be better
fixatives.
4. After fixation wash the tissue in running water for an hour or more.
5. Go directly to 70% ethanol. Any alcohol lower than 50% is a waste of
time and money.
6. Dehydrate in ethanols at room temperature: 95% 1 or 2 changes, 1 hour
each, 100% 2 changes one hour each, a 1:1 mix of 100%:xylene one hour, 2
changes of xylene. No hot xylene!! Also consider using cholorform as a
clearing agent, it is easier to remove with paraffin.
7. Melted paraffin, 3 changes 30 minutes to one hour each. The was
should be just a few degrees above its melting point, 65 degrees is
probably too hot. A vacuum oven is good.
8. You don't need a "machine" to embed. Get some "peel-a-way" molds,
pour the wax in, wait a 15 seconds, put the tissue in, put the mold in
cold water in a dish, put the dish in the refrigerator. Make your own
"molds". Get a block of wood 3X bigger than the tissue. Fold some
notebook paper around the block to make a box with the top open. Pour in
hot wax. Wait 15-20 seconds for the bottom to set up a bit. Put tissue
in. In a minute or two, put block in cold water as above.
9. Make sure your knife is sharp.

Good luck!
Geoff

--