[Histonet] Bouin's fixation/removal of picric acid

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Mon Sep 15 23:24:20 CDT 2003

I didn't phrase my question very clearly, and
should have explained the reason for asking.

Previously I've encountered lithium carbonate
for removing picric from sections. It's the
traditional thing to do after Bouin fixation
when the tissue is still yellow in the wax
and after hydration of the sections.
You can easily see when all the yellow has
gone.

With a block you can't see the middle, and
I was wondering how long it takes until no
more yellow comes out into the liquid. With
70% and higher alcohols alone it seems to take
for ever (at least with 5 mm and larger specimens;
I haven't used tiny biopsies after Bouin fixation).
It would be nice to have an idea how much more
quickly the picric acid is extracted when the
70% alc is saturated with Li2CO3.

I asked about removing the Li2CO3 because it's
almost insoluble in alcohol (Merck Index). That
would be 95-100% alc. I guess you rinse the
specimens in more 70% after extracting the
picric acid, and that removes the Li2CO3 and
you don't get damage from crystals forming in
the tissue.
--
John A. Kiernan