[Histonet] Bad Plants/Yarrow

sara goldston cogold13 <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 14:43:52 CDT 2003

I use to be a naturalist in high school and yarrrow is suppose to have medicinal purposes (hopefully you and I are talking about the same plant).  If you crush either the leaves or blooms, cannot recall which, under you nose you will smell something similar to Vick's vapor rub.  Yarrow has the same effect as Vick's by opening up the nasal passages.  But more to your question at hand.  Yarrow is a wild bush so I would assume like any wild and un-domesticated plant, it will grow quite freely if given the opportunity to.  If you are from anywhere east of the Mississippi, there has been an unusual amount of rain not to mention cooler than normal temperatures.  If your plant was kept outside, it would have loved the weather this season and flourished!  You may have to break out the pruining shears.  Sorry, I don't have any other helpful advice.  Try going to a nature reserve, greenhouse or horticulturalist, and perhaps someone along those lines will have some more concrete advise.
Sara

"Johnston, Kathy" <Kathy.Johnston <@t> CLS.ab.ca> wrote:
While we are talking "Bad Plants"  I would like everyone's opinion on Yarrow.  I bought 2 plants this spring and they have grown into to very large although quite stunning plants.  I can't remember it's exact name right now, but each stem is a different pastel color.  My only concern with is is that is started out in a 2" pot, and right now I would need a 5 gallon pail to put it in if I dug it out!

I am understanding that is seems quite prolific.  But is it easy to control.

Your honest opinions please!!!!

Thanks!

Kathy