[Histonet] Reply #3 Manipulation time of human muscle biopsies and formation of freezing artifacts.

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Sep 12 18:05:02 CDT 2003

To sustain a lengthy sort of biopsies, buy a big block(s) of dry ice and
pulverize it so you can lay things on top of ice and/or surround boxes with
mutiple smaller dry ice chunks and still be able to handle the vials while
sorting. Use good insulation of hands and forceps (I have some LONG Russian
forceps with large rounded serrated tips - shoved into dry ice to keep cold
or long, grippy hemostats to pick up vials. Vials can be laid on or shoved
into pulverized dry ice and certainly stay out of a freezer for more than 5
minutes as long as they are surrounded by dry ice (hmmm approx -70 to
-90C). BE sure to use a styrofoam container to hold the dry ice, open boxes
can be worked with at RT for as long as you need.  You could still work in
a cold room with dry ice, however close quarters could be a problem - see
very last comment.

If possible, try to recycle some dry ice pellets (Sigma et al use to ship
biologicals, antibodies, etc in styrofoam containers and if possible
stockpile pellets in -80C freezer in a styrofoam box, some means for this
purpose (hope you have some space!) We do this for snap freezing purposes
and rarely buy dry ice blocks.

We sort large 50 ml tubes w/frozen tissue blocks using dry ice method
frequently and the biggest problem is cold hands, take care to insulate
your fingers from snap freezing! I have seen people use thinner silk
glove/liners from Winter Silks inside latex gloves and forceps to handle
(juggle?) tubes.

We find the dry ice easier to work with than colder, fog creating liquid
nitrogen where I end up going on a frustrating fishing for tubes somewhere
in bottom of a dewar.  Be sure you have good ventilation, you don't want to
be found passed out on the floor due to oxygen depletion by CO2 or N2 fumes.

Good luck

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor