[Histonet] hematoxylin article

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Fri Sep 12 14:58:51 CDT 2003

The waynesword web page on logwood referred to by Bryan
is indeed a good read!
  The Oxford Dictionary says the name is from
haemato (blood) and Greek xylon (wood)
rather than from xylem, the vascular tissue.
They give the pronunciation with emphasis on
the tox. Wayne spells the generic name of the
tree Haematoxylum, with Haematoxylon as a
common synonym. I've never seen it written
with an -um ending elsewhere, in the dictionary
or in botany books. Wayne is a botanist, so he
must have his reasons. There are international
rules that govern the scientific names of
plants - not the same rules that are used for
animals.