[Histonet] cleaning microtomes

Fred Underwood funderwood <@t> mcohio.org
Tue Sep 9 14:48:17 CDT 2003

I find that a dry gauze does the job.   I have tried paragard, however,
and it seems that the paraffin that accumulates on the paragard cleaned
surface seems to be sticky and more difficult to clean.  Has anyone else
had this experience, or am I on an island here?

Fred

>>> "Favara, Cynthia (NIH/NIAID)" <cfavara <@t> niaid.nih.gov> 09/09/03
11:31AM >>>
I use paragard which is just oil of wintergreen, followed by ETOH. Do
not
use xylene because of health concerns. I would be interested in what
Gayle
Callis has to say, I believe she took a course at NSH previously and
the
instructor recommended not using any clearing agent. Would be
interesting to
have a manufacturers recommendation.

Cynthia Favara
NIAID/NIH/RML/LPVD