[Histonet] GGT / gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase / liver / immunohistochemistry

Alex Knisely alex.knisely <@t> kcl.ac.uk
Fri Sep 5 09:55:29 CDT 2003

Hi Netters

Is anyone out there staining formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded human liver
for gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (GGT)?

We have had great results using a non-commercially available antibody, but
our supply is limited and we are trying to find an alternative.

We have been trying an anti-GGT1/2 antibody from Santa Cruz, cat# sc-20639,
and have had reasonable success, but with less staining reaction and
considerably more background staining than when using our non-commercial
supply.

We are not using heat mediated antigen retrieval techniques or trypsin or
protease pretreatments as sections treated in this way showed no staining at
all.

The best staining results so far have been achieved by incubating the
primary antibody overnight at 4°C, diluted 1:100 with Dako ChemMate
background reducing antibody diluent, followed by detection using the
ChemMate HRP kit (K5001)

If Netters can point us to a different technique (with the same Santa Cruz
clone) that has been successful, or to any successful technique using a
commercially available clone, we shall be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Alex Knisely

Alex Knisely, MD
Consultant Histopathologist