[Histonet] Black pigment on Bronch Lavages

Marshall Terry Dr, Consultant Histopathologist Terry.Marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk
Fri Oct 31 06:18:07 CST 2003

Carbon is neither refractile nor birefringent.
Nothing becomes refractile simply by looking at it through crossed polarizers.
To appreciate refractility (better) you need to either close the sub-stage diaphragm or lower the condenser.

BTW, asbestos fibres may be birefringent, but they are so small when dispersed in lung, that this is no way of detection, because they are simply too small to see with a light microscope, by any means. The asbestos bodies are of course, haemosiderin encrustations.

Dr Terry L Marshall, B.A.(Law), M.B.,Ch.B.,F.R.C.Path
 Consultant Pathologist
 Rotherham General Hospital
 South Yorkshire
 England
        terry.marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathy.Johnston <@t> CLS.ab.ca [mailto:Kathy.Johnston <@t> CLS.ab.ca]
Sent: 30 October 2003 21:03
To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Black pigment on Bronch Lavages

As our pathologist was explaining his problem to me while we looked at the slide in particular under his microscope, he said that Carbon was not the item in question as it does not become refractile when he polarizes/darkfield his microscope (to be honest he was whizzing objectives and filters so fast I could barely follow him!).  I know carbon is very common in lung, but to my eye as well, it is too fine and regular to resemble the stuff I usually see.