[Histonet] Prefer formalin-free fixative

Mary Bryhan mbryhan <@t> NORTHERNHEALTH.ORG
Wed Oct 29 08:18:38 CST 2003

All,

I would like to go on record to dispute the claims of Hadi regarding Prefer fixative.  It is much safer than formalin based fixatives for the health of the workers as well as the environment.  The main reason people have trouble with working up their antibodies using Prefer fixed tissues are, in most cases, they haven't tried to work through the protocols to determine the corrective action to get their signal to light up!  We have had about 8 years or so, experience with using Prefer fixative and have EXCELLENT results!  If anyone out there needs to network with other Prefer users, feel free to contact myself or my coworker Ellen Clausen-Simon at (231)487-4169.

Mary Bryhan HT (ASCP)
Team Leader Anatomic Pathology Department
Northern Michigan Hospital
Petoskey, MI 49770

>>> Hadi Yaziji <hadi83 <@t> comcast.net> 10/29/03 08:47AM >>>
Dear Amy,

I don't recommend it for the following reasons:
1. It has EXTREMELY harmful effects on many antibodies and on the DNA,
so if the Prefer-fixed specimen will require any IHC or FISH, the
results will be severely compromised because of the fixative.
2. Contrary to what was marketed by the company that sells it, it is
not proven to be safe, and not requiring the strict regulations (in
terms of proper ventilation and disposal). It simply hasn't made it to
the radar screen of OSHA.

I work in a reference lab, and we receive specimens that are fixed in a
variety of fixatives. Prefer fixative is one of the worst in terms of
destroying the IHC and FISH signal.

Best wishes,

Hadi Yaziji, M.D.
PhenoPath Laboratories