[Histonet] Histology's contribution to Forensic Science

Sellis4051 <@t> aol.com Sellis4051 <@t> aol.com
Mon Oct 20 20:47:28 CDT 2003

I'm not currently working in histology so that I can complete a Master's
degree but have volunteered to give a presentation at the next Washington State
Histology meeting in May. The tentative title of the presentation is "The role
of the histotech in death investigations." I parlayed my histology training
into morgue work and then death scene investigations. I am now a Diplomat with
the American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigation.

I know that there are very few histotechs working solely for a coroner or
medical examiner. When I was a histology intern at Harborview Medical Center,
they let me learn to cut on the blocks from medical examiner cases because they
were less important than the clinical stuff. I would love to hear from
histotechs who cut medical examiner/coroner blocks and who have some suggestions on
what I should include in my talk. Any suprising findings due to routine
histology? Any cases that benefited from the specialized knowledge of a histotech?
Perhaps Congo Red cracked the case? Has the experience from CAP inspections
helped in gaining NAME accreditation? (National Association of Medical Examiners)
Any suggestions would be really appreciated, even if you don't have forensic
experience to draw on.

Thanks so much, Sandra Ellis