[Histonet] Histotechs grossing?

Michelle Becker mbecker <@t> pathlabinc.com
Sun Oct 12 14:34:08 CDT 2003

Hello Histo-world!

Would anyone be willing to share the policy/ protocol they follow for
allowing histotechs to examine and gross skin specimens?  Histotechs  have
been grossing skins for 12 years in our independent lab.  We were recently
cited during a CAP inspection for not having such a policy in place. These
gross examinations are also not supervised or evaluated by a pathologist
since we do not have any on site. The slides for these specimens are
directly returned to the dermatologist involved in the case.  Are there any
other labs out there with similar circumstances?  If so, how do you handle
this?
Any help will be very much appreciated.
michb