[Histonet] GI bx's and Warthin Starry

Susan Owens ohenry <@t> dfw.net
Thu Oct 9 12:29:39 CDT 2003

Over the years we also had this problem(from time to time), and we will have
it again I'm sure whenever they get new people for the GI rooms. But
hopefully not....

The problem of not staining around the edges on silver stains comes from the
nurse allowing the GI bx's to lay out too long before putting them into the
Hollands fixative instead of putting them immediately into the fixative.

The regular H&E and the AB/PAS  were not effected, only our silver
stain,Steiner/Steiner...

What allot of the nurses/assistants couldn't seem to understand was the real
need to put the bx IMMEDIATELY into the fixative... They wanted to take the
bx and lay them out for a count of the number they have since they were hard
to count after being put into the bottle. So I'm told....Of course that
answer didn't account for the single piece that was allowed to stay
out....The word "immediately" should be clear, but to some a slight delay is
still 'immediate'....And of course a 'slight delay' to one person may be a
coffee break to another. hehe.

Hope this helps.
Susan Owens,HT

----