[Histonet] Mouse brain

Cheryl Crowder ccrowder <@t> mail.vetmed.lsu.edu
Thu Oct 9 10:02:49 CDT 2003

Annette - We have worked with a lot of mice brains and have had your
problem.  We cut all the brains and CNS tissues at one time (not
interspersed with other pieces and parts).  We use a waterbath at 37C.
This helps the paraffin stay next to the tissue.  One of the problems
with mice is that they can over-dehydrate easily and need shorter
processing times.  When the tissue hits the water it "goes crazy"
sucking up the water into the dehydrated tissues.  We also have
moistened a slide and then placed the section directly on it, draining
the excess water.  Try that if all else fails.  Hope this helps.  Cheryl

Cheryl Crowder, BA, HTL(ASCP)
Chief Technologist
Anatomic Pathology
Department of Pathobiological Sciences