[Histonet] negative IHC controls

Nick Kirk nick.kirk3 <@t> btopenworld.com
Wed Oct 8 17:22:59 CDT 2003

In my opinion you should always run a negative control with every patient
run. For starters, how do you know
a. Your blocking solutions have worked?
b. You haven't got endogenous biotin activity (especially in liver biopsies)
giving a false positive?
c. You haven't got a contaminant?

For clinical assurance and governance reasons alone I would have thought
that negative controls are essential.
I think the reasons for DAKO selling the two reagents separate is for
commercial reasons only (they can charge more) rather than any fact that
people aren't using them.

In the UK it is considered "best practice" to use negative controls and not
to do so would be frowned upon by the National External Quality Assurance
Scheme (NEQAS) who monitor the quality of immuno carried out by hospitals in
the UK, which nearly every lab in the UK and many more overseas are signed
up to.
No negative controls is poor quality control in my book.

Nick Kirk
Histopathology
Hinchingbrooke Hospital
Huntingdon