[Histonet] Purple Haze.....

Yaskovich, Ruth A (NIH/NIDCR) ryaskovich <@t> dir.nidcr.nih.gov
Wed Oct 8 13:48:11 CDT 2003

I used to get this problem once in awhile and haven't had it since switching
to charged slides. May-be in the amounts of gelatin? What kind of
hematoxylin are you using?
Ruth Yaskovich
N.I.D.C.R.
N.I.H.

-----Original Message-----
From: Therersa Stegall [mailto:STEGTM <@t> samcstl.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 1:50 PM
To: KMMerril <@t> LancasterGeneral.org; histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Purple Haze.....

Kathleen:
   Thanks for naming the amorphous blight that has been plaguing us lately.
This "Jimi Hendrix" artifact has been running 'round our brains for the past
few weeks.  We have 1-started filtering the hematoxylin each morning,
2-alternated between Sta-on, gelatin, and naked waterbaths, 3-scrubbed the
entire staining system, 4-decreased time in microwave, ovens, for drying
slides; and yet, we still find this on some biopsies.  Not always all the
biopsies in a batch, this led us to ask GI about collection procedures, and
possible air-drying, they insist it's not them.  We've checked pH on water,
accurately calibrated the bluing and acid/water washes (we stain
regressively), and just about run out of ideas.  I'm beginning to suspect
the hematoxylin is leaving a precipitate, or maybe the microtomy is
inconsistent and ruining cell
integrity, or .... maybe it's terrorism!   Any ideas out there?