[Histonet] RE: shrinkage and Perfusion One system

mucram11 <@t> earthlink.net mucram11 <@t> earthlink.net
Wed Oct 8 12:19:33 CDT 2003

Strange we did not have shrinkage problems with our set up.  Pam Marcum

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Charles W. Scouten, Ph.D. cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:39:33 -0500
To: mucram11 <@t> earthlink.net, frouwke <@t> sci.kun.nl,
nancy.walker <@t> sanofi-synthelabo.com, histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: shrinkage and Perfusion One system

Yes, gravity will work, with 20% shrinkage of the brain, some shape
distortion, and with a reddish tinge due to remaining red blood cells,
which catalyze any HRP reaction, and autofluoresce.  OK for some purposes,
terrible for others, but not the optimum for any.

I have asked www.Histonet.org  to post a picture called Perfused Brains
Annotated which shows whole rat brains, one fresh dissected out, one
perfused by pressure sucrose and  4% paraformaldehyde/glut, and the last by
traditional gravity flow with saline prewash, and the same fixative.

The last is reddish and shrunken compared to the middle brain.

Three ft of water translates directly, using the units converter at:
http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html
to  67 mm Hg, below average diastolic pressure in mice or rats or people.
And some pressure is lost in the lines and needle.  Even in living animals
with cycles of systolic pressure, some capillaries occasionally get plugged
for a while and stop flowing.  That is part of the advantage of exercise,
to keep the lines open.  It is extremely unlikely that completely open
exposure to 67 mm Hg would in any way "blow" the vascular system of any
mammal, or even clear out all the blood.  The blocked passages will stop
fixative from reaching the surrounding tissue in that area, and lead to
local deterioration in unpredictable and irreproduceible areas.

The only advantage of sucrose over saline is to clear the extracellular
fluid of sodium before fixative hits.  High pressure, 300 mm Hg, applied to
either saline or sucrose as the prewash, (there is never a reason for
both), will thoroughly clear all red blood cells, but should not be pumped
up in advance the 'thump' the system, but increase over a few seconds to
clear most blood before the blood brain barrier opens.  This prewash will
take half the time of traditional prewash, and get fixative in sooner and
more thoroughly.

Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.