[Histonet] RE: Cell Culture Staining

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Tue Oct 7 06:35:10 CDT 2003

Hi Kevin,
There is a method described by Harold Kerstens to embed your cells into
paraffin blocks. Spin the cells down in an Eppendorf tube, remove the
supernatant and mix the cells gently with 1 ml warm (65C) 2% agarose
solution. Centrifuge again to concentrate the cells. Embed in paraffin
as usally.
See paper by: Kerstens et al. JHC 48:709-718, 2000.
For the next time try to get some collagen sponges from some cell
culturing company. Spin the (unfixed!) cells down and wash 3x with PBS
(remove proteins). Discard supernatant and resuspend cells in a small
volume. Insert sponge and allow the cells to adhere to the collagen (15
min, RT). Fix sponge in buffered formalin and embed as usual.
Good luck!

Chris van der Loos
Dept. of Cardiovascular Pathology
Academical Medical Center