[Histonet] Tissue Microarrays and peroxidase staining artifacts

Carrie Kyle-Byrne ckbyrne <@t> exelixis.com
Fri Oct 3 15:31:40 CDT 2003

Thom,

i beg to differ with your suggestion that the "halo" staining effect is
caused by adhesive in the water bath.  we use only distilled water in our
baths and only plus slides (no additional adhesives) and we still get this
effect when staining on an automated stainer.  my personal observation has
been that this effect is a direct result of the reagent pool receding to the
edge of the tissue.  i say this for two reasons: 1.  i've witnessed the
problem with reagent spreading on plus slides on our dako autostainer (even
though we use 0.1% tween in our buffer), and 2. we also use the shandon
coverplates for manual staining and we never get the "halo" effect on these
slides.

just my two cents,
Carrie Kyle-Byrne, BHS, HT(ASCP)
Assoc. Research Scientist II
Antibody Core Lab
Signal Transduction Research

Exelixis, Inc.
170 Harbor Way
P.O. Box 511
South San Francisco
CA 94083-0511 USA

Phone: (1 650) 837-8023
Fax: (1 650) 837-7220
Email: ckbyrne <@t> exelixis.com

contain
disclosure
or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact
the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.