[Histonet] Retic Stain

Kelly Booher kb2drkprk <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 18:59:30 CDT 2003

Barbara,

Is your Retic staining too light?  We leave our slides
in ammoniacal silver longer, and tone in gold chloride
for a shorter period of time.  Our procedure is as
follows:

0.5% Potassium Permanganate - 1 minute
Wash in tap water - 2 minutes
2% Potassium Metabisulfite - 1 minute
Wash in tap water - 2 minutes
2% Ferric Ammonium Sulfate - 3 minutes
Wash in tap water - 2 minutes
Rinse in deionized water
Ammonium Silver Nitrate - 3 minutes
Rinse in deionized water - 10 seconds
20% Formalin - 3 minutes
Wash in tap water - 3 minutes
0.2% Gold Chloride - 30 seconds to 1 minute
Rinse in deionized water
2% Potassium Metabisulfite - 1 minute
2% Sodium Thiosulfate - 1 minute
Wash in tap water - 2 minutes
Dehydrate, clear, and mount

Kelly Booher, BS, HTL (ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology
Swedish Medical Center, Providence Campus
Seattle, WA  98122