[Histonet] eosinophils

Laurie Reilly Laurie.Reilly <@t> jcu.edu.au
Wed Nov 26 22:49:31 CST 2003

Dear Garry and All,
We have used the method of Dominici (1902) as quoted in Peter Gray's
Encyclopaedia to demonstrate eosinophils.

It uses an aqueous solution containing 0.5% Eosin Y and 0.5% Orange G
for  7 minutes, rinse in water
then counterstain with 0.5% aqueous Toluidine Blue O for 20seconds.

The other simple way to make eosinophils stand out is to do a H+E stain but
overstain with Eosin and then differentiate the eosin until other
structures, such as muscle or collagen, are very pale pink and the the
eosinophils will be prominent. The Eosin solution we use contains Eosin Y
and Erythrosin B.
  Eosinophils are very satisfying to stain, particularly horse eosinophils.

           Regards,  Laurie.

At 08:36 AM 11/26/03 +0000, Garry Ashton wrote:
>Dear all,
>Could anybody please give me some advice on the staining of eosinophils,
>either by conventional stains or immuno.
>Am I right in thinking the carbol chromotrope technique is one such method.
>Many thanks in advance.
>Garry Ashton
>

>PICR
>UK
>
>----------
>This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
>person(s) ('the intended recipient') to whom it was addressed. Any views
>or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
>necessarily represent those of the Paterson Institute for Cancer Research
>or the Christie Hospital NHS Trust. It may contain information that is
>privileged & confidential within the meaning of applicable law.
>Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this
>message, or any of its contents, by any person other than the intended
>recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly
>prohibited. If you are NOT the intended recipient please contact the
>sender and dispose of this e-mail as soon as possible.

Mr.Laurie Reilly                                              Ph 07 4781 4468
Physiology & Pharmacology                           Fax  07 4779  1526
Aust.Inst.of Tropical Vet.& Animal Sc.
James Cook University
Townsville  Qld.
4811                                      laurie.reilly <@t> jcu.edu.au