[Histonet] Réf. : RE: [Histonet] processing adipose tissue

Nancy.Walker <@t> sanofi-synthelabo.com Nancy.Walker <@t> sanofi-synthelabo.com
Fri Nov 21 06:27:10 CST 2003

Hello,
I'm not really interested in the lipids but rather the proteins and mRNA of
adipocytes and/or stromal tissue. The most basic question is whether the
target gene is expressed in the stoma or by the adipocyte. If I'm using in
situ hybridisation the mRNA is found in the cytoplasm not in the lipid
droplet, which indeed will be removed by the paraffination et
deparafination. I've been told that  frozen tissue often needs to be
delipidized to render the mRNA more accessible to hybridization.  In the
case of IHC the paraffin tissue also has the same advantage (better
accessibility, better cellular morphology - particulary if one is trying to
differentiate mulitlocular adipocytes, histiocytes, blood vessels). Only
for proteins secreted by the adipocyte and stored in the vacuole would
paraffin slices be not the best bet. However even in some cases of secreted
proteins like ACRP, some protein can be detected on the cytoplasmic rim of
a adipocyte even after parrafination.

correct me if I'm wrong or imprecise,

yours truely,
Nancy Walker
Molecular Biology Scientist

Sanofi-Synthelbo Research
B.P. 37 Labége Innopole
31676 LABEGE CEDEX FRANCE

nancy.walker <@t> sanofi-synthelabo.com
tel : (33)561004179  fax :(33)561004001

                      "George Cole"
                      <georgecole <@t> ev1.         Pour :   Nancy Walker/FR-LABEGE/RESEARCH/SANOFI <@t> Research
                      net>                     cc :
                                               Objet :  RE: [Histonet] processing adipose tissue
                      21/11/03 12:31

Nancy,
No advice here, but questions:---doesn't the clearing process in
paraffin impregnation interfere with the nature of adipose tissue?  It
can't really tell you anything about that which was melted away in the
clearing step. Are frozen sections useful for your work? Can you not get
sections that are useful to you with lipids cut in a good cryostat at
-25 to -30C on a very sharp knife?
georgecole <@t> ev1.net