[Histonet] RE: embedding like specimens sequentially

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Thu Nov 20 22:17:41 CST 2003

Sheila Tapper recently submitted a query - to which several people replied -
about whether a surgical pathology service should avoid accessioning grossly
similar specimens (such as prostate needle biopsies) sequentially rather than
spacing them with histologically dissimilar specimens.

I certainly concur with Curtis Tague: >>I'd have your pathologist put the
hammer down. He or she would no doubt be happy to see your desire to improve
quality control and reduce the chance any mix up that could lead to legal
problems. Explain to them the risks and I'm sure they'll back you.<<

As a surgical pathologist with experience in about 60 surgical pathology
services over the last 40 years, I'd say that avoiding sequential accessioning of
similar specimens is standard practice - I learned it in residency and have
seen many services apply it since then. I see no reason to have to cite "chapter
and verse" - but as a matter of fact the College of American Pathologists is
considering a resolution on this and related topics right now.

My friend and former locum tenens client Joseph C. Bergeron Jr. MD FCAP is
now chairing the CAP's House Ad Hoc Committee on Medicolegal Testimony.He's
submitted CAP House of Delegates Resolution F2003-55: "Guidelines regarding the
technical handling and reporting aspects of histology" - which is somewhere in
process right now, and is still in draft form.

Perhaps one of the standard histotechnology references cites this practice -
Freida Carson, do you know of such a citation?

If you're writing a procedure, you need to make clear that this is a rule
that can be broken - if three prostate biopsy specimens come in in the late
afternoon and you have no other specimens to space them with, then you accession
them sequentially.

I have to be vague about the details, but right now I'm serving as an expert
witness in a case where a disastrous outcome occurred as a result of a mixup
of adjacent similar specimens. Sequence of accessioning is one of the issues
that's been raised in depositions.

Since this note is going into the HistoNet archives, you can cite it as a
reference!

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN