[Histonet] A Big Step For The New muscle/nerve procedures

George Cole georgecole <@t> ev1.net
Wed Nov 19 13:38:40 CST 2003

Histotechs;
84 PACKETS SENT---AND A BIG STEP TAKENI One of those muscle and nerve
packet going out all over has landed in a  neuropathologist's hands and
the good doctor is now studying the methods in his lab. He says he is
getting good results. He has given me a wonderful lift with his
acceptance of those methods for their actual study as possible
inclusions in his lab's patient care. He also wrote some positive
statements about the methods and the means of communicating them.  I
know the  home-made videos are a bit crude, but I guess they do manage
to communicate the How To's of the many improvements to muscle and nerve
biopsy technique presented in them..  Folks, I've tried to say this
before---and I don't want to be tiresome---I don't want people to press
DELETE the moment they see my name on the histonet----but being aware of
better ways to do things---especially when the things done are life and
death patient services---and shrugging them off with a "Well, that's how
he does it, but it isn't the way I do it!"  is a big NO NO in my belief
system.  I automatically included, in my processing of patient tissues,
ANY improvement in procedure, whether it was easier or harder or more
expensive to do, or whatever!! I have been worried about the fate of
these methods.  I know we histotechs don't usually have the authority to
schedule retraining time when new methods come along, nor could they
usually just up and buy new equipment for new procedures.  I was
extraordinarily fortunate to work for Dr. D'Agostino.  I ordered any
supplies or equipment needed by each improvement as it came along, no
questions asked. It did take some time for the big break-through cases
to come along, but then, all was well.  I was patiently reminded,
sometimes, that I was taking more than the usual time to do biopsies.
But the comparative completeness of the information I dug out of the
tissues eventually helped to excuse me for the extra in-out time.  I
always tried to keep the process time to a minimum----it was quality and
completeness first, and I just hoped the clock would forgive me if I
couldn't do it this in the same time as the mediocre studies . I have
heard from a few of you who are giving the new methods a try. Please, I
hope I'm not being hard headed about this---but folks, shouldn't
EVERYONE, who is informed about better procedures for of patient care,
DO their enactments of those better procedures?
.
Please excuse this diatribe---on the next 23 messages on the Histonet, I
will perform english music-hall songs and play  catchy numbers on two
spoons.
georgecole <@t> ev1.net