[Histonet] HELICOBACTER CONTROLS

Nick Kirk nick.kirk3 <@t> btopenworld.com
Tue Nov 11 13:58:44 CST 2003

Um, surely the whole point of a Helicobacter control, is that it has
Helicobacter in it, not E. coli?
Helicobacter and E. coli look very different for one thing, so by having a
control with E. coli in it wouldn't give you the necessary reference point
as it were, to the appearance of Helicobacter positivity.
An inexperienced person might miss a positive if they don't see the real
thing.
If you're only interested in demonstrating that there's bacteria present,
why not use the same control that you use for a gram stain?
Personally I would reject any stained slide done in my lab for Helicobacter,
that wasn't accompanied by a Helicobacter positive control.

Nick Kirk
Histopathology
Hinchingbrooke Hospital
Huntingdon
England

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Rebecca
Barnhart
Sent: 11 November 2003 17:29
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] HELICOBACTER CONTROLS

We were having trouble finding a positive control also.  So we had our
micro department grow e-coli.  We then smeared it on a piece of colon,
processed, embedded, cut, stained and picked the best section.

Becky

>>> Tasha Bourm <tbourm <@t> olympicmedical.org> 11/11 12:00 PM >>>
Does anyone have a good source for helicobacter QC cut slides or
blocks?

Tasha R. Bourm
Olympic Medical Center
Histology Department