[Histonet] HELICOBACTER CONTROLS

Rebecca Barnhart RBARNHART <@t> summithealth.org
Tue Nov 11 13:28:07 CST 2003

We do get gastric biopsies but very few are positive (like 2 in the past
year).  The tissue is so small and it doesn't take long to cut through
it (plus we like to keep patient tissue just incase it is needed in the
future).  That is why we grew our own and planted it on a colon.  We can
have controls anytime we want that can be cut away.

Becky

>>> "Richard Cartun" <Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org> 11/11 1:18 PM >>>
I don't understand why labs can't get positive tissue for control
purposes from their own lab.  Do you not see many gastric biopsies?

Richard Cartun

>>> "Rebecca Barnhart" <RBARNHART <@t> summithealth.org> 11/11/03 12:28PM

We were having trouble finding a positive control also.  So we had our
micro department grow e-coli.  We then smeared it on a piece of colon,
processed, embedded, cut, stained and picked the best section.

Becky

>>> Tasha Bourm <tbourm <@t> olympicmedical.org> 11/11 12:00 PM >>>
Does anyone have a good source for helicobacter QC cut slides or
blocks?

Tasha R. Bourm
Olympic Medical Center
Histology Department