[Histonet] Reality check: Part 2

Barry R Rittman Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Fri Nov 7 05:32:49 CST 2003

Joe
I think that you did the right thing.
I would suggest that if you get no response within a week that you let us all know the name of the company so that we all (think that is good Texican) don't fall into the same trap. After all you and your  hospital are at risk from potential lawsuits if GI cases get mixed  and and as a result  there is an erroneous diagnosis and treatment.
It is unfortunate when this occurs. In fairness to the company it might simply be that there was a problem with manufcturing or the companies that suppied their inks etc.; however the lack of a response gives the perception that the company either realized that there was a problem and hoped that there would be very few complaints or they don't give a .......no excuse for lack of response.
This attitude seems to be a trend with companies in general but most of the companies in our field  that I have dealt with have been timely, very responsive and responsible in dealing with such problems....now the Bonneville that I used to have with its electrical problems was an entirely different matter.
Give the company one more chance to respond and then send us the name.
Barry

	-----Original Message-----
	From: histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Joe Nocito
	Sent: Fri 11/7/2003 6:19 AM
	To: Histonet
	Subject: [Histonet] Reality check: Part 2

	Hi,
	it's me again. What do you think about a company that promotes a better
	product that you test out, then decide to purchase that product, only to
	find out that the product doesn't work?
	    I was given these ink pens that were supposed to be better than the
	Securline Markers.  These pens were supposed to be alcohol and xylene
	resistant.  The sample product worked great, so I purchased 100 of these
	pens.  They worked for a few days, then bam, 25 cassettes lost all their
	numbers.  Of course all these were GI cases.  We were barely able to see
	what number was written on the cassettes.  Gratefully, after many hours of
	matching the blocks to the gross descriptions, we were able to make new
	cassettes and match them up  to the correct cases.
	    So, as only I can do, I packaged up the cassettes that had the numbers
	washed off, put all these pens in a box with a letter explaining what
	happened and mailed them off to the company.  That was a month ago.  Now I
	know NSH was coming up so I let things go.  Now, after one month and after
	the NSH, I still haven't heard back from this company.
	    Is it me or are companies putting out inferior products these days? I
	know I sound like a whiner, but come on.  What happened to taking
	responsibilities for your actions.  I'm really not that difficult to get
	along with.  I just want decent, dependable products.  Am I holding these
	vendors at too much of a high standard? What ever happened to credibility?

	Joe Nocito BS, HT (ASCP) QIHC
	Histology Manager
	Pathology Reference Lab
	San Antonio, Texas