[Histonet] Not all tissue staining...

Willis, Donna DonnaWillis <@t> texashealth.org
Tue Nov 4 13:06:40 CST 2003

We had the same problem and found out the hard way that it was the slides we
were using.  We were using Gold Plus Slides.  They worked great on the Nexes
but when we converted to the Benchmark and XT with the new solutions we had
staining issues.  We sent slides inhouse to Ventana and they researched the
issue.  It wasn't the instruments it was the solutions with the slides.  If
the slides went through Xylene and Alcohols on a automatic stainer there
wasn't a problem but if we put them through the EX Prep and CC1 then the
problem occured.  We went to using Plus Slides and everything is wonderful.

Donna Willis
Histology Lab Manager
Harris Methodist Fort Worth, Tx

-----Original Message-----
From: ANN MARUSKA [mailto:amarusk1 <@t> FAIRVIEW.ORG]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 12:27 PM
To: usdahisto <@t> hotmail.com; laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com;
histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Bauer.Karen <@t> mayo.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Not all tissue staining...

Karen,

I am with you - I would suspect the vortex mixers first.  But perhaps
deparaffinization is a problem.  It is possible that the volume of EZ prep
that goes on the slide - and deparaffinizes - might be the problem....or
could it have been made up improperly......or the line have a bubble in it
that needs to be primed.

I agree that contacting technical service at Ventana would be the first step
in having them walk you thru these procedures and troubleshoot.

I've had my Benchmark for 3 years come this January - and have no
complaints.

Ann

Ann Maruska
Fairview-University Medical Center
Mpls. MN  55454
amarusk1 <@t> fairview.org <mailto:amarusk1 <@t> fairview.org>
612-273-9119

>>> "T. Truscott" <usdahisto <@t> hotmail.com> 11/04/03 11:56AM >>>
Karen, Ventana can be great help, but you can also check that all your
reagent containers are clean and that LCS didn't get poured into the wrong
one. Good Luck Tom Truscott USDA-ARS Pullman, WA